Wren’s Nest Forest Preschool Program: Sample Week’s ScheduleWren's Nest Forest Preschool Program
For more information about Wren's Nest, please click here. To register your child, please click here.
Sample Day at Wren's Nest8:30 a.m. Arrival at Ecolodge at Common Ground. Ease-in activities such as blocks, books, and clay 8:45 a.m. Morning Nest time
- Group song “Hello Everybody” with percussion instruments for children to use
- Gratitude: asking “What is one thing you feel thankful for today?” Alternative: “ If you feel thankful for the sun today, wiggle your fingers”
- Brief description of day’s activities outside
- Group movement: “fox walking” and “ owl eyes” – tools for being quiet and sneaky in the woods
- Story or storytelling with children’s participation
- “Hawks and Mice”- a variation of “sharks and minnows”
- Instructors will have scouted the area before class to look for interesting sites like animal tracks or a fallen log with lots of bug activity. This influence may guide the direction of the hike and learning. We will try to hike a slightly different path each day.
- Stopping to play games like “ Eagle Eye” or developing a “rope/tree system” for children to use large muscles for climbing.
- Unstructured exploration of an area; ex. RockaMoss
- Collect materials for later project: leaves and twigs
- Read/tell one or more stories, allow for resting bodies
- Drink water
- Song: “ My Roots Go Down” or “Goodbye Song”
- “Roses and Thorns”: Each child has a chance to share what their favorite part of the day was, as well as any part of the day that was challenging for them.